"The pedestrian is predisposed to loathe the automobile whilst encountering it upon a street; the automobile harbors similar feelings for the pedestrian. But the bicycle, that 2-wheeled pest, is abhorred by all."
-- Mark Twain
The common sentiment is felt by many on college campuses nationwide. Bikes are too slow for the street and too fast for the sidewalk. Bike lanes don't fully solve the problems, as bicycles can sneak up on the most cautious driver just as he opens his door to cause irreparable damage to human, bike, and car.
I don't like bikes. But after extensive testing, I've decided they're the best way to get around. At least here in Austin.
The first day of school I walked to campus. It took 17 minutes. I was sweaty by the time I got there because I'd power-walked a bit to cut down on how long it would take. At a comfortable pace, it'd probably be 20 minutes, door to door. That's 40 minutes a day commuting.
Last week, I tried driving to school. Getting around construction, traffic lights, finding a place to park (for $10), and still walking a few blocks to school took me 15 minutes.
Biking, however, takes a few pumps up Deane Keeton and then a 6-7 minute cruise to campus. Maybe 8 minutes door to door. Much more doable.
The only downside - other than navigating the hordes of undergrads - is that you work up a sweat before you get to class. But that's what the superchilled rooms are for.
Glad to see you are exercising your powerful blogging skills, Morgster. I read all your posts and they are funny and insighful, just like I knew they would be. Keep up the awesome work--I will be a follower to make sure I keep tabs on you, Austin, and Mrs. Connecticut Yankee. Miss you, Jules
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks Jules! Don't know why they didn't tell me you posted, but thanks for following along!
ReplyDelete